Do you think that a Montessori preschool program discourages imagination and/or fantasy play?
Image by Gregory Williams
Question by janelocky: Do you think that a Montessori preschool program discourages imagination and/or fantasy play?
We are enrolling our (almost) 3 year-old son in a very traditional Montessori preschool for the upcoming fall. We feel very confident that this will be the right environment for him. Our only concern is that we’ve heard that the Montessori method stifles/discourages imaginative and/or fantasy play. Our son has a very vivid imagination, which we feel is one of his strengths. Montessori experts out there, how would you respond to this criticism? Is it just another misconception about the Montessori method, or is there some validity to it?
Answer by green13
i went to a montessori school and i was allowed fantasy play and creative thinking. we played unicorns alot. my most vivid memory from it was signing silent night at the christmas program and having to eat beets. but there wasnt any limitations placed on my imagination or personality. it was encouraged. its my understanding, and i could be wrong so dont quote me, that montessori schooling is supposed to foster the childs direction in their personal interests and that its a little more liberal than most of other types of private schools. i think you are making a good choice.
Give your answer to this question below!
- what are animals that can help people and/or the environment?
- Do you think that problem gambling is an addiction that is biologically based?
- Q&A: what career choices are associated with preserving and/or improving the environment?
- Does government play the proper role in American society today?
- I’m majoring in Management, what do you guys think about a minor in philosophy?
- Q&A: Do you think private land owners do enough to protect the environment in their own backyard?
- Bonded Waterproofing Systems, a New York Area Basement Waterproofing and Certified Mold Removal Contractor Offers a Special Program for Hurricane Sandy Victims
- In what ways do you think the Koch Brothers negatively affected something in your life?
- City Biking Advocate, Linus Bike, Supports Portland’s Bike Share Program
- Internationally Known Political Activist and Westminster College Graduate to Speak on Missouri Campus Through Global Leaders Program